Food Liability Insurance


If you’re starting a new concession business, you’ve probably been advised to purchase Food Liability Insurance. And like most of us, you probably have a lot of questions: What is it? Why do you need it? Who qualifies for it? Where can you purchase it? How much does it cost? Hopefully we can answer those questions here!

What is Food Liability Insurance? Why do you need it?

Food liability insurance for concession businesses helps to protect you and your business from unfortunate events, should they occur. Events such as food poisoning; if a customer falls or gets otherwise injured at your set-up or even if your equipment gets stolen. Those things could cost you greatly, even cost you your business. The insurance helps to protect you and your business.

Who qualifies for Food Liability Insurance?

Anyone who operates a food cart, food truck, concession trailer, vendors using tent set-ups, caterers, farmers market vendors, personal/private chefs. Basically mobile/temporary vendors selling food and/or beverages of any type.

Where can you purchase Food Liability Insurance?

We personally recommend purchasing your policy through the Food Liability Insurance Program or They have policies to cover pretty much any situation and affordable prices. There are several other places you can look though. Google “food liability insurance”.

How much does it cost?

Most policies through start at $299 per year. Food Liability plus Liquor Liability policies start at $498 per year.

Whichever way you decide to go, you want to be sure to protect your investment and your future. If you are uninsured, you can quickly go out of business from just one liability claim against you. So, the small price you pay per year to protect your business is totally worth it!